*2nd-year* Polish/Czech instructors

Mark R. Lauersdorf mrldorf at KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU
Mon Oct 28 22:35:34 UTC 1996

Dear SEELANGS Readers,

   I am looking for teachers of *2nd-year* Polish and Czech at U.S.
institutions of higher education who would be willing to participate,
with their 2nd-year classes, in a survey project, the results of which
will be presented on the panel "Textbooks and Methods for Teaching
Central and East European Languages" at the annual meeting of the
American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages
(AATSEEL) in December 1996 in Washington, DC.

   The student portion of the survey is designed to gather information on
the language background, needs, desires and goals of students currently
studying Polish and Czech at the 2nd-year level at institutions of higher
education in the United States.  The instructor portion is designed to
give information on the size and type of programs available to students
for studying these languages at the institutions participating in the
project.  The student questionnaire should not take more than 10-15
minutes to complete.  The instructor questionnaire will take longer, the
length of time depending upon the availability of certain information
requested.

   I would like to include at least 15 instructors/classes in the survey,
but will gladly accept more, if there is a large response to this request.

   For reasons of confidentiality in carrying out this survey, it is
absolutely essential that any instructor of 2nd-year Polish or Czech who
is interested in participating respond to me privately at:

                       m-lauersdorf at ukans.edu

You may also respond to me at any of the other addresses listed at the
bottom of this message.  Please *DO NOT* respond to me on the SEELANGS
discussion list, since this will disqualify you from participating.

   If you are interested in participating in this survey, please respond
as quickly as possible, and I will initiate the process for including you
and your students in the project.  I realize that there has been a
plethora of surveys recently, brought on by concerns over the health of
the profession.  However, this survey is not about the facts and figures
of the profession, rather it is about our methods and our students.
Therefore, I strongly encourage you to participate one more time.  An
accurate assessment of ourselves, our students and our methods can help
not only to maintain our programs, but also to ensure that they are
maintained with the highest possible quality.

   Thank you for your consideration of my request, and I look forward to
working with you.
                                              Sincerely,

                                                 Mark Lauersdorf

Dr. Mark R. Lauersdorf                     Dept. of Germanic Langs. and Lits.
mrldorf at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu                 2080 Wescoe Hall
m-lauersdorf at ukans.edu                     University of Kansas
phone: 913-864-4803                        Lawrence, KS 66045-2127
fax: 913-864-4298                          U.S.A.