declension of "sto" (fwd)

Robert Orr roborr at aix1.uottawa.ca
Thu Oct 31 06:00:12 UTC 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 00:49:52 -0500 (EST)
From: roborr at aix1.uottawa.ca
To: SEELANGS at CUNYVM.BITNET
Subject: declension of "sto"

Dear Seelangovcy,
                  I have three native speakers of Russian, all
young, well-educated fairly recent immigrants, in my course on the
Structure of Russian.  A day or two ago we were discussing "sto" (100)
and I was told, by two out of the three (one from Moscow, and the other
from Petersburg), that the declension sto (nom/acc)/sta(rest of
declension) (which they found odd) has been replaced by  stam (dat),
stami (instr) stax (prep).  On questioning, they seemed to be unsure of
the actual usage; they admitted that "so sta rubljami" and "so stami
rubljami" were both possible; also, however, when the number "100" stands
on its own, without an accompanying noun (phrase), " so stami" could be
used instaed of "s sotnej".

Comments?

Thanks in advance,  Robert Orr