Rutgers, Slavists, jobs

David Matthews dvdmthws at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 7 17:58:10 UTC 1997

At 12:20 PM 4/7/97, Alina Israeli wrote:

    >By the way, for a job in Canada, Robert, non-Canadians need not apply. It
    is stated in your adds.

The standard notice that appears in Canadian ads should be
interpreted as such: "if we don't think the Canadian candidates
are up to snuff, we'll review foreign applications in a second
round."

Foreigners should _indeed_ apply to Canadian jobs, since they
get them all the time.  I speak as someone who's a Canadian and
has been been passed over for better-qualified foreigners many
times: I can cite jobs at University of Northern British
Columbia, University of Toronto, and University of Calgary, and
there certainly have been others.

David Matthews
University of California, Berkeley