Challenge

Robert Orr roborr at aix1.uottawa.ca
Tue Apr 8 04:34:11 UTC 1997

Dear Seelanzcowie

> This is directed at native speakers of Slavic languages who know
English, but NO other Germanic language (i.e., if you read Dutch or
German as well, please do not attempt it).

>Please try and decipher the two messages below WITHOUT using a
dictionary.  Don't spend too much time. If you can't, please let me know,
and if you can, please let me know as well.  Please reply off list.

This is  a  legitimate request; there may well be a couple of people
reading SEELANGS who know what I am driving at!

Thanks to Peter Houtzagers for providing the material!

> (1) Hadie mensen,
> zeg, vrijdag 18 april moet ik naar Leiden om een gastcollege te
> geven. Ik moet er zo vroeg heen dat ik mijn rail-actief kaart niet
> kan gebruiken. Is er misschien iemand met wie ik mee kan rijden?
> We delen natuurlijk de kosten. Doei!
>
> (2) Beste Sielengers,
> ik zit thuis en heb mijn boeken hier niet. En nou weet ik effe niet
> wat "hoogachtend"in het Russisch is. Ik ga er niet voor naar het
> instituut fietsen, dat begrijp je. Ik moet het wel snel weten.
> De mazzel!

Robert Orr