Join the AATSEEL Committee on Linguistics

J. Rouhier-Willoughby jrouhie at pop.uky.edu
Thu Apr 10 16:04:41 UTC 1997

>On the topic of increasing enrollments in Russian, the following
>observation.  At the university of tennessee, most of the people who make
>it as far as second year have had some exposure to Russian previous to
>colllege.  It seems that increased outreach into schools and enhanced
>support for all K-12 programs by nearby Universities would be a good way
>to build enrollments into the future.

I would like to once again invite those willing to help with such
promotional activities to join the AATSEEL Committee on Linguistics. The
External Promotion and Public Relations subcommittee, which I chair, is
currently gathering data on successful promotional strategies. Such
activities include outreach to community heritage groups or to local
schools. We are also investigating the very real problem of articulation
between middle and high school Russian language programs and college
programs. If you have information to contribute or would like to join in
our efforts, please contact me at the email below.

Regards,
Jeanmarie Rouhier-Willoughby

Jeanmarie Rouhier-Willoughby           telephone:  (606) 257-1756
Department of Russian and Eastern Studies      fax:  (606) 257-3743
1055 Patterson Office Tower                email:  jrouhie at pop.uky.edu
University of Kentucky           URL: http://www.uky.edu/~jrouhie/
Lexington, KY 40506-0027