Changes in Russian visa requirements?

Charlotte Douglas douglas at is.nyu.edu
Fri Apr 18 19:51:14 UTC 1997

Colleagues:

Does anyone have information about recent changes in Russian visa
requirements?

I am trying to get a visa for a research trip to Moscow.  I have an
invitation from an institute affiliated with the Ministry of Culture.  I
have often done this before, but now the invitation has just been refused
by the Consulate here in New York which says that nothing but an invitation
from the Ministry of Culture itself is now acceptable.

This seems to me a major change in procedures.  How are research visits now
being arranged?

Since I will not be staying at a hotel, a tourist visa will not do.

Thanks for any information,

Charlotte Douglas
Russian and Slavic Studies, NYU
douglas at nyu.edu