Changes in Russian visa requirements?

Barbara Mozdzierz mozdzier at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Sun Apr 20 03:26:24 UTC 1997

Dear Charlotte,

I am afraid I can't answer the question myself.  But I would give the
program officer of _Research Exchange Programs_ at ACTR a call.  THey
handle such exchanges and visa issues on a regular basis.  Their tel. is
(202) 833-7522, fax (202) 833-7523.

Good luck,
Barbara

 On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Charlotte Douglas wrote:

> Colleagues:
>
> Does anyone have information about recent changes in Russian visa
> requirements?
>
> I am trying to get a visa for a research trip to Moscow.  I have an
> invitation from an institute affiliated with the Ministry of Culture.  I
> have often done this before, but now the invitation has just been refused
> by the Consulate here in New York which says that nothing but an invitation
> from the Ministry of Culture itself is now acceptable.
>
> This seems to me a major change in procedures.  How are research visits now
> being arranged?
>
> Since I will not be staying at a hotel, a tourist visa will not do.
>
> Thanks for any information,
>
> Charlotte Douglas
> Russian and Slavic Studies, NYU
> douglas at nyu.edu

Barbara M. Mozdzierz, Ph.D.                     tel. (202) 994-0930
Dept. of German & Slavic                        fax  (202) 994-0171
George Washington University                    mozdzier at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
2130 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052