final s in foreign words in French

Alain Dawson orfqe at nordnet.fr
Wed Apr 23 12:52:06 UTC 1997

As a french, it seems to me that "mas" can be read indiferently [mas] and
[ma]. The problem is that this word is not a purely french word, but was
recently borrowed to Occitan (the  set of dialects spoken in southern
France). On the other hand, this is an example of normal free variation
even in such a strongly fixed language as French. This is another example=
 :
"ananas" can be read with or without the final [s]. Good luck with french
grammar and phonology !