Russian friendships

Rinat Bulgakov dbulgak at POP3.utoledo.edu
Sun Apr 27 02:53:15 UTC 1997

Loren A. BILLINGS wrote:

> I read some of the discussion of "Russian friendships" to some Russians and
> here are some of their (and my) impressions:
>
> 1.  Fewer people have phones in Russia, so it's more acceptable just drop
> in on people you know.  Ironically, the lack of telecommunications makes
> people closer in this respect.
>
> 2.  At _institut_ a whole group takes exactly the same courses for five
> years together.  In the United States it's one year shorter, and hardly
> anyone has an identical schedule with any other despite being in the last
> year of a very small major (area of specialization).  "People get really
> close," I'm told.
>
> 3.  Finally, people in the States move far more frequently, making it
> difficult to make real _druz'ja_ (close friends, in the Russian sense).
>
> Oh yes, there are cultural reasons, such as the distinctions between
> _znakomyj_, _prijatel'_ and _drug_ (glossed ranging from "acquaintance" to
> "friend"), but I thought these other, practical factors might be
> significant as well.
>
> Best, --Loren Billings (billings at rz.uni-leipzig.de)
Plus Russian tradition, Russian mentality, and the concept of
collectivism on which many generations of Russians were brought up.
Unfortunately, people in the US are alienated.I don't think that here
homo homini lupus est, but at times I think it is true.The concept of
friendship a la russe does not exist here- that's for sure.  Very sad...
--
Rinat A. Bulgakov, M.A., M.Ed,
Professional Translator, Toledo, OH