holiday calendar

Earl Sampson esampson at cu.campus.mci.net
Mon Apr 28 18:49:27 UTC 1997

On 4/25, Genevra Gerhart wrote:

>Ladies and Gentlemen:  Easter
>
>The following dates are for Easter, Russian Orthodox style,
>
>1997  April 14, Old Style, and therefore 13 days later
>1998  April 6,    """"
>1999  April 29,    """"
>2000  April 17,   """""
>
>The dates supplied come from
>Pravoslavnyy Russkiy Kalendar' na 1931
>which supplied all the Easters from 1901 to 2000
>Izdaniye Kazansk.-Bogorodits. Muzh. Obshchezhitel'nago Monastyrya. in
>Kharbin through which my friends came to Seattle.
>
>All other dates should be calculable via Russian's World, second
>edition. ISBN 0-15-501053-0
>Love, Genevra
>--
>Genevra Gerhart

   Yesterday I fired up my computer calendar to enter the dates for
Orthodox Easter for the next three years, and discovered what must be a
typo in Professor Gerhart's posting.  Converting the Old Style dates to NS
gives Sunday April 27 for 1997 (this is one of those years when the two
Easters fall the maximum 4 weeks apart), Sunday April 19 for 1998, and
Sunday April 30 for 2000. But for 1999, the addition of 13 days to April 29
gives _Wednesday_ May 12.  Besides, if I'm not mistaken, Easter cannot fall
in May, or at least almost 2 weeks into May.  If, however, we assume that
the OS date for 1999 should be _March_ 29 instead of April, the conversion
to NS gives Sunday April 11.

Khristos voskrese!

Earl Sampson (esampson at cu.campus.mci.net)