MacOS 8 + Cyrillic Language Kit

Kjetil Ra Hauge K.R.Hauge at easteur-orient.uio.no
Sat Aug 2 12:29:42 UTC 1997

George Fowler <gfowler at indiana.edu> wrote

>Kjetil Raa Hauge, responding to Jerry Ervin, wrote:
>
>>What you describe is a lack of WorldScript-awareness on behalf of the
>>application you are using, not a fault of CLK or the system. The only
>>application I have that recognizes Cyrillic words when double-clicked, is
>>HyperCard.
>
>There must be some other applications sold in Russia which are also
>Cyrillic savvy.

I'll correct myself and elaborate a bit: among the functions you could
expect from a WS-savvy application are these:

- fonts are bound to their respective keyboard layouts, so that for
instance a Cyrillic kb layout is automatically selected when you select a
Cyrillic font
- double-clicking on a word selects it
- sorting routines
- lowercase/uppercase for conversion and search routines
- appropriate font in dialogue boxes instead of Chicago
- spell checking

I had a good look through my hard disks, experimented a little, and came up
with the following results:

               HC   SimpleText  MarinerWrite   FrameMaker NisusWriter
font binding   yes   yes        yes            yes        yes
dblclk wd      yes   yes        yes            no         ues
sort           no(?) n/a        n/a            n/a        yes
lower/upper    n/a*  n/a        yes            yes        yes
dialogue font  no    no(n/a)    yes            no         yes
spell check    n/a   n/a        ?              ?          ?

*This function may be programmed by the user.

I was not able to find out about spell checking as I had no appropriate
dictonaries for the programs in question. Other WS-aware programs include
WorldWrite and ClarisWorks (A "trial version" of CW that I have failed font
binding, while succeeding in some other points).

-- Kjetil Raa Hauge, U. of Oslo. Phone +47/22856710, fax +47/22854140
-- (this msg sent from home, phone +47/67148424)