Russian Radio Listings

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Tue Aug 5 08:52:15 UTC 1997

Dear Colleagues:

If you are curious about Russian-language broadcasts, feel free to visit my
web site at:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/1212

You'll find not only an expanded, comprehensive list of Russian links (well
over 50 sites, each of which  is a link to dozens and even hundreds more)
but a new section in two parts devoted to Russian Radio broadcasts
worldwide. As I locate more stations, I'll add them to the list.

Last week I asked for help in locating Russian-language broadcasts. Thanks
to several people (especially Professors Drozd and Rifkin), I found some
good sites. In addition, after several hours of searching, I managed to
find several more, some of which are real gems.

My list is divided into two groups: Russian Radio-Video Active and Russian
Radio-Video Others.

This may seem quite obvious, and, of course, it is. However, anyone who has
tried to pick up Russian radio stations will quickly discover the profound
frustration with actual reception. Many of the stations are simply not
accessible or are off the air (temporarily or what not). It is quite
exasperating.

I therefore decided to separate the wheat from the chaff. The 9 entries in
the Active list are all solid, reliable sites (or constellatin of sites),
and most of them broadcast full programs lasting from 30 minutes to a full
hour (except for Radio Liberty and Voice of America). In one case (of all
places, a Chicago station called New Horizons), the programs are 3 hours or
more in length. At other times, the servers relaying the broadcasts seemed
to be especially reliable, and many stations that I could never get before
came in clearly and beautifully on RealAudio.

In addition to RealAudio, I recommend Streamworks for some stations and the
new Microsoft NetShowPlayer. All of these are free.

The authority for radio stations on the Internet in general is, to the best
of my knowledge, the MIT List of 3,000 Radio and Television Stations on the
Internet. You'll find it on my site (Radio-Video Others). Not all of them
are actually available, and the Russian list is very misleading (see above).

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Yours,

Benjamin

Benjamin and Anna Sher
SHER PUBLISHERS