ISAR Internship-Central Asia Program (fwd)

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Sat Aug 16 13:04:40 UTC 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 21:43:13 -0400
From: Eric Weisz <eric at isar.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <civilsoc at SOLAR.RTD.UTK.EDU>
Subject: ISAR Internship-Central Asia Program

Internship Opportunity -- ISAR  Washington, DC
Central Asia  Program

ISAR is a non-profit organization that supports the growth of the
 nongovernmental sector in the countries of the Former Soviet Union.  With field
 offices throughout the FSU and a national office in Washington, DC, our mission
 is to empower grassroots activists to address local social, political, and
 environmental challenges by providing them with grants, training, and other
 forms of technical assistance.

ISAR has an office in Almaty, Kazakstan that implements our program in Central
 Asia.  The intern will work with the Director of Programs in the Washington, DC
  office to assist our staff in Almaty with their work in Kazakstan, Kyrgyzstan,
 Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.  The intern will also help represent
 these programs to the American public.

Responsibilities include:
--filling information requests from the public and field offices regarding
 environmental issues and projects
--researching topics relevant to the ISAR Central Asia program and ISAR
 Clearinghouse activities
--organizing files and information for the ISAR DC Central Asia program
--assisting with publication, supply and equipment requests from the field
 offices
--providing administrative support under the supervision of the Office Manager

Qualities Desired
--interest in former Soviet Union, NGOs, and environmental issues
--basic knowledge of political, environmental and social issues in Central Asia
--excellent organizational and writing skills
--familiarity with basic word processing and database programs
--basic Russian or Central Asian language skills
--fluency in writing, reading and speaking English

Hours
15-30 hours a week, with flexible scheduling

Terms
Unpaid with reimbursement for local travel.

Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Irina Belashova, Administrative Director
ISAR, 1601 Connecticut Ave., NW, #301, Washington, DC  20009
 fax: 202-667-3291
e-mail: <irina at isar.org>