Yurij lotofil at tversu.ac.ru
Wed Aug 27 20:44:13 UTC 1997

Loren A. BILLINGS wrote:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> This a summary of the responses to the first of my recent queries
> (originally entitled "Question on Russian phonetics").  I will reply to the
> second, related query (tiled "_polbanka_ [sic.] ?") in a separate summary.

> The full riddle is _Na balkone xodjat_ "(people) walk on the balcony," and
> _Na bal koni xodjat_ "horses go to the ball.  These are funny because of
> their similarity:  Each syllable undergoes approximately the same level of
> reduction.  These examples differ slightly from mine:  While these compare
> a sequence of words _bal koni_ with a simplex (non-compound) word
> _balkone_, in mine a sequence of words _pol komnaty_ is compared to a
> compound word.  (Moreover, _bal_ + _koni_ in the first example isn't a
> syntactic constituent at all, but just two adjacent syntactic
 words.)=============================

What you know about enclitics and proclitics in Russian?

> Finally, I correct some comments about gender:
>
> Adassovsky:
> >There are some strange facts with "pol" : polkomnaty is neuter (polkomnaty
> >bylo...), while polovina as well as komnata are feminine. Stranno, no tak.
> >If it is preceded by an adjective, it becomes plural: "tselye polkomnaty
> >byli".
>
> I agree with the preceding comment in for the most part.
>
> Lotoshko:
> >polkomnaty as polversty, polminuty - fem. and only fem.
> >
> >> If it is preceded by an adjective, it becomes plural:
> >>"tselye polkomnaty byli".
>
> The first part of the preceding comment is erroneous:  If _pol_ plus the
> quantified noun form the subject of the clause, then there is NEVER
> feminine-singular agreement.  I modify one of Dumanis's examples:
>
> 5.  *Polkomnaty byla zastavlena        veshchami.
>      1/2room    [was cluttered]fem.sg. things
>
> Instead, neuter-singular agreement is attested:
>
> 6.   Polkomnaty bylo zastavleno         veshchami.

What are you know about "bezlic^nyje predlozenja",
" neopredelenno-licnyje prsdloz^enija"?

In this sentence there no subjct, It is Objct in Accus.

My students laugh.... but school-boy don't laugh

2 level of russian grammer

Are you shoolboy?

>      1/2room    [was cluttered]neut.sg. things

See: Zaleznjak "Grammatic^eskij slovar' russkogo jazyka"

--
All in Russian codepade 1251: TvGU (Tver State University)
Rossija, 17002, Tver, pr.Cajkovskogo, 70, Filfak, kafedra russkogo jazyka