Ne AATSEELom edinym: SLAVIC at MLA!

Wayles Browne ewb2 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 1 20:02:23 UTC 1997

>Colleagues,
>
>Those who will be attending AATSEEL in Toronto before Staryi Novyi God may
>wish to visit lesser divinities or larger zoos, i.e. the MLA.

Oh, we won't go to Macy's any more, more, more,
There's a big fat policeman at the door, door, door,
He takes you by the collar,
and he makes you pay five dollars,
We won't go to Macy's any more, more, more.

This skiprope rhyme expresses my feelings about the MLA meeting:
they have a high registration fee and they seek to apply it even
to people who are AATSEELites and wish to attend one measly session
at MLA. AATSEEL, on the other hand, doesn't have any Swiss Guards
outside its meeting rooms. Are my comparisons overly unjust?

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Professor of Linguistics
Morrill Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

tel. 1-607-255-0712, home 1-607-273-3009, fax 1-607-255-2044 (write
FOR W.BROWNE on top)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu