Ne AATSEELom edinym: SLAVIC at MLA!

Paul Klanderud paulkla at pressenter.com
Tue Dec 2 00:58:50 UTC 1997

I have a couple friends who last year had the misfortune of interviewing
for Russian positions within the friendly confines of an MLA hotel. Being
foolishly poor, they didn't register for the MLA conference--all they were
doing was going for interviews.

But . . . apparently both were outwitted: when they reached the outer
perimeter of fortress MLA, goons in dark suits, dark glasses, and dark
shirts (I can't vouch for the details of dress, but the rest is true)
threatened to turn them away unless they coughed up the obligatory
(late)-registration fee, leaving them feeling like a couple blundering
Homer Simpsons trying to crash an all-you-can-eat seafood bar.

I guess if Microsoft can get away with charging 100 dollars or so for a
sneak preview of Explorer 4.0 (simply because they are Microsoft, after
all), then the MLA can be excused shaking down a few grads for their last
dollars.

Ever ready with constructive criticism,
Paul Klanderud