Ne AATSEELom edinym: SLAVIC at MLA!

Irene Thompson napooka at aloha.net
Tue Dec 2 09:58:42 UTC 1997

I stopped going to AATSEEL meetings not only because of the awful timing
and the Arctic venues but also because AATSEEL does not (and cannot) have
enough serious panels on Second Language Acquisition, Language Testing and
other topics which cut across languages. MLA was never an added attraction.
Irene Thompson
>When I said that quitting the MLA was the most constructive thing one
>could do, I was being ironic. But, the fact is: MLA has simply shown no
>willingness whatsoever to negotiate/compromise. In the meantime, as many
>have pointed out, many AATSEEL members are dragged to wherever MLA meets.
>There are not a few Slavicists who, in fact, have given up on the AATSEEL
>meeting as well because of the timing. Put aside the costs of attending
>oneself and what institutions will pay: how many colleagues with children
>are going (1) to be willing year after year to absorb the costs of taking
>the whole family or (2) to be willing year after year to spend the time
>between Christmas and New Years away? For myself, when my kids left home
>and began coming back because they got a break from school or work at this
>time, I started thinking twice about taking off.

>Ernest Scatton                                                  Slavic Hum254
>518-442-4224 (w)                                               UAlbany (SUNY)
>518-482-4934 (h)                                                    Albany NY
>518-442-4217 (fax)                                                      12222
>               http://alpha1.albany.edu/~alin220/slav_dept (WWW)

 Irene Thompson
P.O. Box 3572
Princeville, HI  96722