MLA vs ACFTL

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Wed Dec 3 11:34:23 UTC 1997

From:    Genevra Gerhart <ggerhart at wolfenet.com>

"A suggestion:  since AATSEEL is one of the AAT's, that is, was founded
to be an association of language teachers (which is in fact what most
people do, whether or not they admit or like it), then let us meet at
the same time as ACTFL on the condition that they suspend their use of
educationese, and we suspend our panels on topics that matter to no one."

Maybe this is because I'm in K-12 education rather than higher ed, but
this seems like a valid point (altho I doubt ACTFL would *ever* drop the
educationese!).  I assumed that linguists had more to get from MLA than
ACTFL, but if this is not the case, why not consider the switch?

I'm curious how people feel about ACTFL and MLA as organizations -- which
benefits them more and in what way?  Again, maybe because I'm in K-12, I'm
more familiar with ACTFL than MLA, but that could be an incorrect
assumption.

Devin

Devin P Browne
dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu