Russian departments in trouble

Neil Bermel N.Bermel at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 15:29:54 UTC 1997

Dear SEELANGers,

Guilty on both counts:  I posted the less-than-informative message
about Bangor and Northumbria; I also forwarded the message about
Exeter earlier in the year.

David Birnbaum's comments are well-taken; all three of the
public pleas for help he mentioned were written and distributed by
outsiders, not by people in the affected department, which probably
explains why they're not as informative as they could be.  I assume
the message was primarily intended to reach people who _already_ have
some familiarity with the people or programs under threat.

A question, though, for David Birnbaum:  would you mind if I
forwarded your message to RUSSIAN-STUDIES, the British Russianists
list?  It might prompt some more complete responses, and help raise
awareness of better ways to get outsiders involved effectively.

Best,

Neil

Neil Bermel
Sheffield University
Department of Russian and Slavonic Studies
Arts Tower, Western Bank
Sheffield S10 2TN United Kingdom
telephone 0114 222 7405 (direct) or 7400 (dept.)
fax 0114 222 7416
(from the US: 011 44 114 plus last 7 digits)
n.bermel at sheffield.ac.uk