bibliographic databases

Sapief sapief at albany.net
Thu Dec 18 15:37:12 UTC 1997

Hello. I have dealt with the issues you are concerned with.
I offer my 2c advice on the matter:

> Dear SEELANGStsy,
>  programs better suited to Slavic languages? Is a bibliographic
>  computer program really much more useful than an
>  alphabetical list in a word processing document? What issues
>  do you see as crucial in choosing a program?

If you are willing to do some basic (not BASIC) programming, a
one-time investment in a database program (such as Paradox or
Access for Windows) will pay off in the long run. I developed a
paradox shell to handle Cyrillic and English citations four years
ago.  When web sites started to become more prevalent, I simply
amended my paradox code to handle the new format and to keep
links "hot." I didn't have to pay upgrade costs and/or
be saddled with an inadequate program. My code also transliterates KOI8 to
Library of Congress format.  At some point, I may include this
shell for free download off my website (provided there would be
sufficient demand).

Whatever you decide, I also recommend you find a program that will
permit you to embed and/or search through notes that you have taken
on a particular article or book.  It is best if these notes are in
a word processing format (mine for example are in WordPerfect 8).
That way, you can take advantage of the powerful editing features of
a word processor.  The only hitch is the legwork you need to do
to write macros and/or DDE code to handle search and find capabilities.

Best of luck in your research.

Filipp Sapienza
Doctoral Candidate
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute