(Fwd) Re: query about Polish vocab & verbs

Neil Bermel N.Bermel at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Dec 18 17:18:41 UTC 1997

Here are some answers to Dr Christianson's queries, from a colleague
here at Sheffield.

Neil Bermel

From:          "N.Gotteri" <N.Gotteri at sheffield.ac.uk>
To:            n.bermel at sheffield.ac.uk
Date:          Thu, 18 Dec 1997 17:15:49 +0000
Subject:       Re: query about Polish vocab & verbs

> > I can't find the word "gencjana" in any of my dictionaries: Na takie rozbite
> > kolona pomaga woda utleniona albo gencjana i opatrunek, oznajmia mama.

Gentian or gentian violet.  It's in PWN's S-lownik wyraz'ow obcych.

> > 2. I have trouble knowing when to use ciagle and zawsze. Ciagle is
 translated
> > as "constantly" but it is used in contexts in Polish where in English we
 would
> > use "always" and I often hear ciagle used more frequently than zawsze

Ci,agle is often used where English would use 'still'.  The same
might be said of w dalszym ci'agu.

> > 3. I also have trouble knowing which Polish word to use for "only" and
 "just."

Only (exclusively, no more than): tylko.
Only just a moment ago, only (no further along the road than):
dopiero (dopiero co)

Nigel Gotteri
Neil Bermel
Sheffield University
Department of Russian and Slavonic Studies
Arts Tower, Western Bank
Sheffield S10 2TN United Kingdom
telephone 0114 222 7405 (direct) or 7400 (dept.)
fax 0114 222 7416
(from the US: 011 44 114 plus last 7 digits)
n.bermel at sheffield.ac.uk