Contrast in Russian and Ukranian cultures

Natalie O. Kononenko nkm at faraday.clas.virginia.edu
Wed Jul 2 14:07:57 UTC 1997

According to Greg Ploss:

> My girlfriend is Ukranian and lives in Moscow.  If you have any specific
> questions, I would be happy to ask her.
>
> While I have traveled to Russia many times, I have never been to UK.  Elena
> told me I would go crazy there, whatever that means.  She told me she could
> not explain, just trust her.  Her Grandmother lives in Kharkov.
>
> Let me know if you have questions.
>
> Greg
> gploss at aol.com

I'm surprised my various Ukrainian friends have not responded
to this.  I've been to both Ukraine and Russia lots and lots
and the only thing that might make one crazy is how much nicer,
friendlier, more cheerful Ukraine is than Russia.

Also, in response to another posting that followed this one, in
addition to Hrushevs'kyi, there is Subtelny's History of
Ukraine which is quite recent, there is the Encyclopedia of
Ukraine with all sorts of useful information, and many
translations of Ukraine lit. into English including, very
recently, From 3 Worlds.

Natalie Kononenko