volunteer and community service activities in NIS (fwd)

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Mon Jul 21 00:14:54 UTC 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:40:20 -0400
From: Center for Civil Society International <ccsi at u.washington.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <civilsoc at SOLAR.RTD.UTK.EDU>
Subject: volunteer and community service activities in NIS

                                                x-post friends

         volunteer and community service activities in NIS

I am looking for organizations involved in volunteer and community service
activities in the NIS who would be willing to write an article about the
state of these activities in their respective countries.  I edit a
newsletter for "alumni" or returnees of the Freedom Support Act Future
Leaders Exchange (FSAFLEX), a high school exchange program funded by USIA.
The theme of the next issue is alumni involvement in volunteer and
community service activities in their cities.  I would like an article
talking about the growth of these activities in general (are they becoming
more popular, why is it so difficult to attract people to them, what impact
are they having, etc.)  and offering some suggestions for possible alumni
activities and coordinates of organizations who facilitate these activities
in all countries of the NIS. There are now over 5000 returnees of the
FSAFLEX program (formerly Freedom Support Act Secondary School Program -
FSASSP) - a force which can be motivated for the betterment of their
communities.

I need articles by August 25.  Any and all information will be
appreciated!

Marianne Ruane

******
Marianne Ruane
FSAFLEX Alumni Coordinator
ACTR/ACCELS
117049 Moscow, 2 Leninsky pr-t k.503
(095) 230-4582, 956-7812 (fax)
<fsaalumni at glas.apc.org>
*****

        |     CivilSoc is a project of the Center for Civil     |
        |     Society International (ccsi at u.washington.edu)     |
        |  in Seattle, in association with Friends & Partners.  |
        |    For more information about civic initiatives in    |
        |       the former USSR visit CCSI's web site at:       |
        |         http://www.friends-partners.org/~ccsi/        |