Russian Radio Info

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Fri Jul 25 06:39:05 UTC 1997

Dear colleagues:

My wife Anna and I recently bought a new Pentium computer. It cost us an
arm and a leg but it was time to upgrade from an old 386.

One of the major reasons for buying it was to allow us to listen to Russian
broadcasts.

The best general list of radio and TV stations I know of is the MIT list of
3,000 stations on the Internet to be found at:

http://wmbr.mit.edu/stations/euro.html

Unfortunately, only a few of the stations listed actually broadcast (live
or otherwise) on the Internet.

The best Russian station I have found so far is the government station
Golos Rossii at

http://www.wrn.org/stations/vor.html

You can hear a one-hour program of news and commentary, repeated 24 hours
throughout the day. There is a new program each day.

The other Russian stations listed in the MIT list are generally music
stations playing American rock and roll and their Russian counterparts.

I hope to find other Russian-language programs, but it's not easy to find
them. There is the Voice of America but all they seem to have are 10-minute
news clips.

Radio France International broadcasts also in Russian, but I won't know any
details till we sign up.

(In case you or your friends are interested, the best source for French
broadcasts is FRANCELINK at:

http://www.francelink.com/

You get France-Culture, Radio Sorbonne, RFI, etc. etc. The broadcasts are
NOT free but the software (RealAudio or StreamWorks) IS. Both are available
free from their respective web sites.

Can any of you suggest any other Russian broadcasts from anywhere in the
world? Please include the appropriate URL's.

Thank you so much.

Yours,

Benjamin

Benjamin and Anna Sher