Lotmanites please help!

R_L roman at admin.ut.ee
Sun Jul 27 18:12:13 UTC 1997

Something from theWWW...

1. http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~jthomas/class/675.pkm.tshirt

Very funny on-line article on the semiotics of t-shirts (without
bibliography).

< The Semiotics of T-Shirt
P.K. Manning            Betsy Cullum-Swan
Departments of Sociology     Department of Sociology
and Psychiatry
School of Criminal Justice
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan USA 48824>

2. On Fashion

Shari Benstock and Suzanne Ferriss, Editors

"An excellent and timely collection of essays . . . an important book
for feminism, for women in general, for cultural studies, and for the
growing study of the semiotics of fashion and dress in relation to
postmodernism and to politics."

- Jane Marcus, C.U.N.Y

320 pp. Paper, $16.00, 0-8135-2033-9; Cloth, $45.00, 0-8135-2032-0
 <source:
http://info.rutgers.edu/Library/Rutgers/unipress/titles95/womstud.html>

3. http://www.gold.ac.uk/~soa01ds/bibcon.htm
A huge list of publications on
fashion/consumerism/cosmetics/exploatation of women and other
interesting topics.

4. Reference to the work of Barthes (mentioned in Richard
Kellermann's letter) I have found unexpectably at Pentti Routio's
"Arteology" <http://www.uiah.fi/tm/metodi/140.htm>. "Dux veet, gde
xochet".

Beyond the WWW.... Being a"lotmanite", I'm remembering some passages
from Lotamn's "Kul'tura i vzryv" and his story about punks in
West Berlin (the toughest of them, by Lotman's words, weared tail-coat and was
barefooted).

Sincerely,

r_l