Loren A. BILLINGS billings at rz.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Mar 5 00:21:28 UTC 1997

Dear colleagues:

Thanks to Daniel COLLINS, Keith Goeringer, and Karen RONDESTVEDT for
responding to my recent query on SEELangs.  None of these found the
Russian-language translation, but here's the citation of the French
(original) and English (translation):

Vendryes, J. (Joseph), 1875-1960.
 TITLE        Le langage; introduction linguistique a l'histoire, par J.
                Vendryes.
 PUBLISH INFO Paris, Renaissance du livre, 1921.
 DESCRIPTION  2 p. l., [vii]-xxviii p., 2 l., 447 [1] p. 21 cm.
 SERIES       L'evolution de l'humanite, synthese collective. [1. section. III]

Vendryes, J. (Joseph), 1875-1960.
 TITLE        Language; a linguistic introduction to history, by J. Vendryes
                ... translated by Paul Radin ..
 PUBLISH INFO New York, A. A. Knopf, 1925.
 DESCRIPTION  xxviii, 378 p. 24 cm.
 SERIES       History of civilization. Pre-history and antiquity.

Daniel added the following:

"I'm rather surprised that a Russian translation could have been published in
1937, the heyday of Marrist linguistics in the Soviet Union.  Translation and
publication of Western linguistic works seems to have begun in earnest in the
1950s, after the publication of Stalin/Chikobava's "Marksizm i voprosy
iazykoznaniia" (cf. the Russian translations of van Wejk's and Vaillant's OCS
grammars, Vaillant's Le slave commun, etc.)."

According to the _Bol'^saja sovetskaja 'enciklopedija_, this person's name
is transliterated as _Vandries, ^Zosef_ (this according to my colleague
here, Uwe JUNGHANNS); _BS'E_ appearently does not, however, refer to this
publication by this author.

Best,  --Loren Billings (billngs at rz.uni-leipzig.de)