Russian Periodicals On Line at UW-Madison

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 13 22:01:36 UTC 1997

Dear Colleagues:

One of our university's graduate students in Library and Information
Science, Lisa Gromov,
(e-mail:  lkbaker at students.wisc.edu) has put together a wonderful web site
with full texts of numerous Russian and Central European newspapers and
journals.  Lisa writes about the site:

>There are a
>lot of links to fulltext newspaper and journal sites that TAs might want to
>tell their students about, or use for their classes.  Some include: Ogonek,
>Novyi mir, Nezavisimaia gazeta, Literaturnaia gazeta.  There are about 250
>in all, including sites from the other countries of Eastern Europe.  The
>address of the site is http://www.library.wisc.edu/guides/REECA/

This site also includes links to information about KOI-8 fonts and allows
for the downloading of fonts necessary to read the Russian texts as well as
instructions about what one has to do on Netscape to be able to read the
texts properly.

This site is accessible to anyone, at or beyond the UW-Madison campus.

I hope that some of you (or your students) will find it useful.  The full
texts of the newspapers and journals are more rapidly accessible
electronically than by mail, making the articles more timely for use in
language classes.

With best wishes,

Ben Rifkin

Benjamin Rifkin
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI  53706
voice (608) 262-1623; fax (608) 265-2814
e-mail:  brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu