terminology

John Ellison johne at ntwrks.com
Sat May 3 06:11:22 UTC 1997

Bob,
Thanks. Well, for the past several weeks I have certainly been up alot - if not
 up
to much. I am for the next three weeks still working full-time for the
 bookstore.
When Caroline's maternity leave is over I will be a house-dad again. I have
still been teaching and lately have begun to supplement my income by doing
free-lance translation projects. This unfortunately seems like the only way that
will be able to use my Russian skills for making a living. Not as soul
 satisfying
as Dostoevsky but it is enjoyable in its own way. The part I enjoy most about it
 is
that I actually learn as I work unlike my current job where I turn my brain off.
see Peter Debetta all the time - in fact I'm helping him try to learn some
Russian. He says hello. He's turned his linguistic talents to computer languages
and has done very well as a program developer and trainer. Other than that life
goes on largely as before - the change in email address was brought about by the
collapse of my previous ISP. We're still happy in Cary and plan on being here
for quite a while. I've enjoyed and agreed with most of your remarks on
SEELANGS about the current ills of the profession and I'm afraid that until
some others descend momentarily from their tenured ivory towers that they may
very well effectively kill any future growth in the profession. Let's hope not.
Hope all is well with you. I'll try to stay in better touch. I have no idea when
 we
might be in Lewisburg soon (July at the earliest) and I won't be going to
 Toronto
this year.

John