Russian Job - Thank You

Greg Ploss GPloss at aol.com
Tue May 6 17:56:22 UTC 1997

Dear Friends,

Thank you all so much for your interest in my search.  Because of the
response and at least one request, I thought I might briefly share some of my
research with you all.  If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to
help, if I can.

First, one person wrote about the Moscow Times job section.  Yes, that has
many job listings.  The problem is that they all want to "see" you, so while
I faxed many resumes using this technique, the response was terrible because
I was still in the US.  I believe if you were there, this would be a great
source.  Moscow Times is free, and you can find it almost anywhere in Moscow.

Another person wrote and said just go there and you will get a job.  Believe
it or not, this is the advice I have received from many experienced people.
 One person told me to take a suitcase full of resumes and just walk from
street to street and he promised I would find a job.  This creates a "chicken
and egg" problem because without a job, you cannot get the invitation you
need in order to aquire a business visa.

I then began a search for a visa.  I found many companies that would arrange
a visa, but it was VERY expensive.  The first one I found was going to cost
$2,500 for a one year multi entry.  I finally found a very nice travel
company that was able to arrange everything for me at a reasonable cost.  So
I had everything ready, visa and ticket in hand, but, don't laugh, I got cold
feet.

Back to the drawing board, I kept searching the net.  I was told over and
over I could easily find a job teaching English.  This really sounded fun and
interesting.  I found some great people at "Project Harmony", and they found
me a job!  Unfortunatly, it was unclear if the school would remain open
throughout the summer.  I was afraid I would get there and they would tell
me, "see you in September."  The people at PH recommended that I wait until
about July.  This is when they start placing teachers for the fall.  This is
my primary plan, but I want to keep all options open, and pursue any lead I
can.

I hope you all have not found this too boring.  I am intersted in any
information concerning visas, jobs, apartments, anything related to living
there.  I have traveled there three times, so I will be happy to share what
limited knowledge I have.  Thanks again for all the help!

Greg Ploss