visa

Charlotte Douglas douglas at is.nyu.edu
Thu May 8 14:26:41 UTC 1997

End of the visa saga:  I got it!  Arrived a few minutes ago.  In the end my
original invitation - which was refused by the Consulate in New York - was
accepted by the Embassy in Washington.

I used Visa Advisors in Washington.  Faxed them the invitation, and they
did a preliminary run to the Embassy and were told that it was acceptable.
Only then did I actually apply there.

Visa Advisors said that this happens often.  Invitations found unacceptable
in New York are accepted in Washington, and vice versa.

In the course of the whole affair I found several travel agencies who can
get a tourist visa in a week - no hotel necessary.  A friend is currently
using Downtown Travel (20 John Street, New York City) - about $200 for one
week service, half that for longer lead times.

There also seems to be a Moscow organization that runs a "virtual hotel".
You list it as your destination, they register the passport, etc., but you
don't stay there - no hotel actually exists.

Thanks to all who shared their visa woes and advice.  My only advice: start
early!

Charlotte Douglas