sudden decision and future plan in Russian

Junichi Miyazawa walkingtune at bigfoot.com
Wed May 21 14:56:21 UTC 1997

Dear List:

Greetings from a new subscriber in Tokyo.

I am not sure this is an appropriate post for this list,
but anyway, let me put a question:

Is Russian language able to differenciate "sudden decision"
and "future plan", both of which are denoted in English
by "will" and "be going to" respectively?

Please translate the following two dialogues into Russian:

a. Will you write me a letter during your vacation?
   OK.  I will write to you.  (sudden decision)

b. What are you going to do tonight?
   I am going to write a letter.  (future plan)

I am now improving my poor knowledge of Russian grammar
with the help of my poorer knowledge of English grammar.

Let me have your ideas.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Junichi Miyazawa