Hutsulshchyna and linguistics

Robert De Lossa rdelossa at husc.harvard.edu
Thu May 22 21:38:17 UTC 1997

=46or those who are interested in it, I would like to make you aware of the
following, which is now available:
*****************************

A Lexical Atlas of the Hutsul Dialects of the Ukrainian Language. Compiled
and edited by Janusz A. Rieger.

=46ixed in the Western mind through the cinematic masterpiece Shadows of
=46orgotten Ancestors, the Hutsul people of the Carpathian region live in th=
crossroads of Polish, Romanian, Slovak, Hungarian, and Ukrainian influence.
The present atlas represents the fruition of the research of the late
Polish linguist Jan Jan=F3w, who, with his students, conducted a series of
linguistic expeditions between 1924 and 1938 into Hutsulia to record these
distinctive dialects. Professor Janusz Rieger began work on the material in
the late 1970s and since then has succeeded in transferring the information
from disparate field notes and other archival sources onto a series of more
than 250 maps, with separate linguistic commentary and indices.

This atlas will provide a fundamental resource for Slavic linguists,
especially dialectologists. The majority of maps are lexically based, with
twenty additional maps that show phonological and morphological isoglosses
with Hustulia and surrounding regions. Prof. Rieger gives detailed
descriptions of expedition protocols, the history of the notes,
bibliographic information in the field, as well as commentaries keyed to
each map. Summaries in Ukrainian and Polish are included.

370 pp., maps, illus. Softcover, ISBN 83-86619-90-2. $39.95.

Professor Janusz A. Rieger is Full Professor at the Institute of Slavic
Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw.

Jointly published by the Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
and the Institute of Slavic Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences.

Available through Harvard University Press (distributor for Ukrainian
Research Institute publications) in North America only. Available from
Semper Press in Europe.

Those interested in ordering should contact me or check out our on-line
publications catalog at http://www.sabre.org/huri  (follow the publications
path in the left frame; we have direct links to HUP's order site).

Thanks, Rob De Lossa

Robert De Lossa
Publications Office
Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
1583 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-8768; fax. 617-495-8097
reply to: rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
http://www.sabre.org/huri