Sher on the Web

Georges Adassovsky gadassov at mail.pf
Thu May 29 01:10:19 UTC 1997

Sijatel'nejshie silangtsy !

At 7:43 AM 28/05/97, B.Sher wrote:

>It seems to me that a mailing list should allow for more than the
>exchange of notes and memoranda on conferences, upcoming
>events and strictly professional matters, however necessary.
>Why should Seelangs or any mailing list be limited in this respect?
>Why could it not be an informal gathering place for developing ideas,
>for full-length discussions, informal essays or even for the "pub-
>lishing" of short papers to the list?

Why not asking the owner what is the purpose of this list ?
If I remember well, it is a litterature and language list. Some time ago,
linguistic and cultural questions were debatted. Now it seems to have
become a corporative list for American professors.
I for one am more interested on aspects than on problems for recruiting
students, and I suppose many members, specially non-American ones, feel
like me.
In any case, why some members should feel free to censor an intervention
that is not impolite and that interests many participants? It's not a
matter of netiquete but of pretentious egoism.
M. Sher used the "reply" function to send a lot of texts  to all members
who asked him to do so. If mistake there is, the mistake is on the side of
those who asked his essay through the list.
This was not very serious a mistake, and we could all be tolerant.

Georges Adassovsky
E-Mail : Gadassov at mail.pf
S-Mail : B.P. 380330 Tamanu, 98718 Punaauia, French Polynesia.
Tel 689 58 38 40 home, 689 58 37 37 office (GMT - 12)