close reading

Richard Sylvester RSYLVESTER at CENTER.COLGATE.EDU
Fri Nov 21 04:18:13 UTC 1997

Somewhere in Russian Literature (the journal) in the 60s
D. M Segal (if I remember right, I don't have the journal in
front of me) in an article about Mandelstam prefaces it with
a reference to Gershenzon and "close reading". His article is
in Russian, so you may find "medlennoe chtenie" or "
some similar term there. I think what Paul Klanderud pointed to is
right. See what Segal says.

To Earl Sampson: I was also in Jakobson's "Igor" lectures in the
60s, 1963 or 64. I too remember spending weeks on the opening
few lines. Roman's lectures have always remained an inspiration
of both brilliance and scholarly generosity for me.

Dick Sylvester
Colgate