Need help

elena levintova elenalev at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 4 17:15:39 UTC 1997

R, D & A wrote:

> Colleagues:
>
>      Can anyone help me to find the most adequate English translation
> of:
> "Upravlyaushiy delami eparkhii"?
>      I will appreciate your suggestions.
>      Thank you in advance.
>
> R.B.
>
> Myself and some other SEElangers came up with   "Diocesan
> administrator",
> but it does not sound  too Russian.

  Don't worry about it sounding not too Russian:  the Russian word
EPARKHIA is Greek anyway.
However, you might consider using the word EPARCHY, depending on the
genre of the document you are translating and on the type of audience it
is addressed to.
If it is important for you to preserve the local color, go with EPARCHY.

(Webster: eparchy...in the Orthodox Eastern Church, a diocese).
Hope this helps.