Hunter, etc.

Frank frankdp at erols.com
Sat Oct 4 18:50:46 UTC 1997

If anyone is thinking of leaving, here's some advice:

Apply your research skills, which you've developed studying literary theory
or Russian religious philosophy, not to Gippius or Merezhkovsky, but to finding:

1.  A profession you will enjoy;
2.  A profession in high and growing demand;
3   And, a profession that pays more than academia.

It may take time, and it may be difficult, but it works.

Where I'm employed now, 12 percent raises a year, every other Friday or
Monday off, full tuition reimbursement for masters programs (in business or
engineering, of course), and the occasional company gift of a free 70 to 100
dollar dinner is the norm.

Paul is right:  the economy is really booming right now, and I am truly
stunned by the rewards companies give to those who work hard and study hard.
I just hope it lasts.

As for Hunter College:  during the past decade, some of the larger
universities have done an outstanding job of preparing their graduate
students for work as professors.  Even 4 years ago, most graduate students,
whom I knew, had, by the time they finished their dissertations, at least
one publication in SEEJ (some had more), teaching experience, training in
pedagogy, 2 or more years of experience in Russia, strong Russian fluency,
and at least some experience with another Slavic language.  My sense is that
the crop of graduate students now is even stronger.  Hunter may really find
someone fluent in Russian and another Slavic language (I can think of
several graduate students right now who fit that mold, or who at least have
an additional fluency in Spanish or French).  The field is simply more
competitive-- which is a good thing for schools that would like to improve
their rankings, ratings, and/or reputation.  Unfortunately, a lot of talent
is wasted or not even considered.  But as Paul points out, companies, for
one, really want talented people these days.

By the way, this weeks Economist has an interesting article on higher
education.  It's worth a look.

Best wishes,
Frank Poulin