Hunter, etc.

Vanessa Bittner vanessa at bitt.spb.su
Sun Oct 5 09:03:14 UTC 1997

Hi, Frank!

This is Vanessa speaking (i.e. writing).

I've been keeping up with the Hunter controversy from Petersburg.

Your messages have helped refocus my idealism on other fields activity.
I've been studying at Pushkin House, as you probably know, but haven't
finished my dissertation yet.  Trying to earn money here has gotten in the
way, and I've pretty much decided to stay here and use my experience to do
something other than teach at an American university (which, in any case,
is pretty much ruled out by that pesky desire to stay here...).  I've
always been wary of working in business here, but am thinking of starting
an educational program.  After all, Russian fluency, teaching ability and
detailed knowledge of the locals are what I have to offer.

Preparing to fight the depression of another Petersburg winter with newly
fueled optimism,

Vanessa