on the Hunter posting

fortuna at glasnet.ru fortuna at glasnet.ru
Wed Oct 8 03:20:47 UTC 1997

Dear seelangers,
I know it is a hard time for Russian language, but still once a month I offer
myself for a position close to what is being discussed.
usually I get refuses, saying that I do not know something very essential,
but once I got a message like this:
"From the information you provided you are over qualified and not appropriate
for this position to be considered. I wish you all the very best in your
future endeavors."
I do not resent a bit, since I know that being a _doktor filologicheskix
nauk_ is useless for teaching Russian even in Russia. All is needed is
to be a good teacher. What is the use of you researches if they are not
implemented in textbooks. When you visit conference your chiefs have
to find someone to replace you and usually you ask for some money.
In fact, I am more inclined to think that being in the field of applied
lingistics is a kind of being a translator whom everyone wants to replace
by a computer programm. Less humanism, less opportunities for humans.
If I am mistaken, please correct.
P.S. May be I am discriminated for the position of professor of Russian
because I am Russian and live in "this country"?
Dr., Pr., Valery Belyanin. (Moscow, rainy October night of 1997). :)