Folklore Influencing Russian Literature

David J. Galloway djg11 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 15 18:47:38 UTC 1997

Dear Seelangers,

I'm trying to form a list of works of Russian literature, any genre, that
draw from Russian folklore for themes, characters, symbols, etc.
Specifically, such a work should engage the folklore tradition in a major
way--the presence of a minor theme which relates to the tradition is not
what I'm looking for.  As an example, I'd offer Pushkin's "Rusalka" or
Ostrovsky's "Snegurochka".   Any suggestions along these lines would be
gratefully appreciated.  I will most likely incorporate this into a class
for freshmen, so any works you suggest would ideally (1) exist in
translation and (2) have connections to folklore that a first-time reader
could find/appreciate without reading in Russian or investing an inordinate
amount of study.  That said, for my part I'm interested in any suggestions
on this topic--but if you know a translation of the work exists (and even
better, if you can speak to its quality) I'd like to hear of it.

Also, if anyone has taught a course or part of a course on this topic and
can offer advice or even (dare I hope?) a bibliography, that would be
wonderful.

Thanks in advance,

David J. Galloway
Slavic Studies
236 Goldwin Smith Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
(607) 272-8350
Email:  djg11 at cornell.edu

AATSEEL Intensive Language Programs page:
http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~aatseel/intensive-programs/index.html
AATSEEL Endangered Programs page:
http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~aatseel/intensive-programs/endanger.html