Lukashenka stages New attacks on our language!

Kevin Hannan GMC0633 at aol.com
Sat Aug 1 02:24:57 UTC 1998

I am not sure that a majority of "distinguished Slavists" in America can tell
us in which country the Belorusian language is spoken.  They are, after all, a
notoriously Russocentric lot.

I myself witnessed an embarrasing moment at my own university, which followed
the lecture of a visiting Ukrainian scholar.  Our "distinguished Slavists"
hooted and hollered following the exit of the Ukrainian speaker, who had dared
to criticize Russocentrism and the role of the Russian language in Ukraine.

You can expect litle sympathy for Belarus and the Belarusian language from
sovietological American Slavists, who are desparetely trying to revive the
dying field of Soviet/Russian studies in the US.

Jan Piotrowicki

KatkouskiV at praguemail.rferl.org (KatkouskiV) wrote:
>Dear SEELANGers,

>I was somewhat upset by the fact that the issue of the Belarus language
>did not spur many answers at all. The upcoming battle in the court will
>be probably the worst attack ever on the culture of Belarus, which is
>under a great threat of being absorbed by the Russians. >I thought that
distinguished linguists as most of SEELANGS >members are
would be more responsive, maybe, you would forward protest >letters to
the court.

Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 1999 14:41:22 -0500
From: "L-Soft list server at The City University of NY (1.8d)"              <LISTSERV at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:      File: "SEELANGS LOG9807"