Lukashenka stages New attacks on our language!

KatkouskiV KatkouskiV at praguemail.rferl.org
Tue Aug 4 12:26:07 UTC 1998

>> the beating by police of young people when they speak Belarusian -
>
>Wow! is it really so??

The reference is to othe recent _reported_ beating that happenned
sometimes this spring. It got some publicity, even though there are
many other undocumented occassions. Here is that story in short.

Young people were walking late in the evening through the
Kamarouski Kirmash (the main market). They were speaking
Belarusan. The market guards came to them and asked for
smth. (ID's I think). The guys answered something in Belarusan,
and in response the guards growled: "Can't you speak a normal
language?" (meaning Russian). After short verbal exchange they
beat them up.

The guards were also employed by the newspaper Slavyansky Nabat
(Slavic Bell Tolls), that is famous for its extreme panslavism.

The case got some publicity thanks to the newsline staff of RFE/RL.
But there are many other occassions when policemen on the
streets act in the same way, stopping people from speaking
Belarusan. And nobody knows.

mailto: KatkouskiV at praguemail.rferl.org
mailto: vlk960 at cj.aubg.bg
h-page: http://www.aubg.bg/cj/~vlk960/