ad hominem vs. intellectual inquiry

Adassovsky gadassov at csi.com
Sat Aug 8 16:57:45 UTC 1998

>On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Natalia Pylypiuk wrote:
>
>> >So, all Linguistic and Civilization courses I attended during years at a
>> >French University are false ! A myth ! Bewildering !
>> >The worse is I can't even go to neighbouring countries to study the truth :
>> >I will be obliged to go to Japan , as  language teachers from all romance
>> >countries are paid to lie.
>> >Thank you for bringing me the light.
>> >Georges
>>
>> The tone of the above, the response to Irene Thompson, and previous
>> invectives directed at Tsuji Yoshimasa are all unacceptable!

As I wrote the text above, as well as the answer to I. Thompson, I feel
free to answer :

What is acceptable, and what is unacceptable ?
Is it acceptable, when some participants of this list decided to discuss a
subject,  that a person censor the subject, telling "that's enough, find
another topic or go to the beach !" ?
Is it acceptable that a participant tells to a French linguist : "all
language teachers from your country are paid to lie" ? As an American
professor, would you accept the parallel ?

My answers were not invectives, nor were they insulting, just a bit
sarcastic, I confess. That's a part of my character.

Georges.