derivation of the word Zhid

Uladzimir Katkouski VLK960 at cj.aubg.bg
Thu Aug 20 11:57:43 UTC 1998

There could be one more explanation for this, which I personally like
very much...

Dastaeuski was born in Belarus. In the language of this country
the word "zhid" is the absolutely neutral term for "jew", not a
derogative one at all, unlike in Russian. Although during 20th
century Belarusan word "zhid" started to get negative connotations
because of the Russian influence, and nowdays the more politically
correct word for it is "habrei"...

In Dastaueski's prose there are lots of indications of his Belarusan
roots. First of all, it's the lastnames of the characters in many
of his books. And, so, I am inclined to believe that "zhid" was just
another reflection of Belarusan influence on Dastaueski's vocabulary.

Best,
U.K.