Use of the word "Zhid"

James L. Rice jlrice38 at open.org
Sat Aug 22 01:57:17 UTC 1998

Colleagues:                          Dinnertime+, Friday, 21 August 1998

I promised to say no more about Dostoevsky and the Jews on SEELANGS, but I
can allow myself to quote IN FULL the 5-line sentence from my book,
DOSTOEVSKY & THE HEALING ART (1985), from which Dan Rancour-Laferriere has
lifted a snippet -- thoroughly distorting the meaning, and discarding the
main point -- to serve his own hasty ends.  I wrote, 13 years ago:

"The APPARENT behavior change of his last decades, in the direction of
heightened anxiety and suspicion, with episodes of paranoid delusion,
DESERVES TO BE CAREFULLY CONSIDERED not only as A PROBABLE PSYCHIATRIC
COMPLICATION OF HIS EPILEPSY, but against <the> background of quite real
harassment by the state security agencies."  <Op. cit., page 81>

The main point here is that there are various (medical and human) ways of
understanding the sporadically documented outbursts of abusive language from
Dostoevsky, some of which were observed during or after the genuinely
psychotic interludes of 3 to 10 days (with paranoid hallucinations of
unknown content) that ROUTINELY concluded his epileptic seizures; others of
which deployed antisemitic stereotypes (especially in letters), but in many
different ways. Readers who are interested in Dostoevsky's personality,
intellect, and motivation as a writer of journalism, or fiction (where Jews
figure mainly positively, if rarely, and on quite different levels of
abstraction), should look carefully at each context in the letters, to
consider what effects he MAY HAVE wanted to achieve, including -- as I see
it -- not only at times seemingly knee-jerk signals of xenophobia, but also
exasperation at the spectacle of Russia falling face down in the mud, and at
his own political impotence.  Some of us read Dostoevsky as Russia's most
seditiously satirical novelist and journalist, who was determined above all
to "dissect anatomically all Russian attitudes toward authority," and not as
a compulsively xenophobic paranoid.  (Dostoevsky's underlying contempt for
Russia surfaces most clearly, I think, in his last piece of journalism, on
Geok-Tepe.)

So, when I referred (in an elaborately qualified speculation of 1985) to
"episodes of paranoid delusion" deserving "to be carefully considered," I
meant IN ALL THEIR COMPLEXITY, and not at all in order to support the
relatively limited arguments of Dan Rancour-Laferriere, as transmitted
lately on SEELANGS.  It might be added that one line of medical thinking
denies the use of terms for standard clinical psychopathology for the
neurological phenomena of epilepsy.  It may be splitting hairs, but I am not
the one who first proposed this distinction -- for ethical reasons.

I can only repeat that SEELANGS goads us into blurting out scraps of the
whole picture, when it would be far better -- in certain complex issues like
this one -- to get our act together first, and publish with careful
documentation.  Of course I don't pretend that my own squeals here above
are adequately documented, and if I'm out here yapping again I guess my
excuse is that I'm only human.

As for Daniel, I don't mind saying that I've been his friend since 1978, and
can't imagine anyone I'd rather argue with about this, in public or private.
He's a worthy interlocutor.  The only question is (for you folks out there
in cyberspace): has he done his homework?  For the time being, you see,
there's just no telling.

Jim Rice