internet explorer and russian

Ernest Sjogren sjogreek at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 26 04:15:57 UTC 1998

Serge,

Entry of Cyrillic characters is possible w/ the newer releases of IE, at
least.  I have version 4.72 (running on Windows 95) which I downloaded
about ten days ago.  This release has the Win, KOI-8, and ISO codepages
available from the menu bar:  view | fonts.  Or at least mine does, but
that may be due to earlier "internationalization" done on this machine.

For instance, I just went to Rambler, as was suggested, applied Win1251 via
view | fonts | Cyrillic Alphabet (Windows), switched my keyboard codepage
to Win1251,  did a search on "krapivin" (in Cyrillic), and got 205 hits.

With older versions of IE, I've not been so successful.  Those that change
fonts by going to view | options and pushing the "fonts" button I've gotten
to work only once -- and that may be wishful memory, it was so long ago.
However, I've used these older versions only on Windows NT 4.0; they may
work okay on Windows 95.

Myself, I generally use Netscape, although this new version of IE seems
pretty good for Cyrillic.  If you do decide to try this new IE, I'd
recommend downloading only the browser and installing it in some directory
other than the one your current installation is in, in case you have
trouble and have to uninstall it.  IE seems to muck about with other areas
of Windows besides the browser function; the bare browser hasn't seemed to
hurt anything, yet, though.

You may want to try Netscape, instead of IE, which I've been using happily
for almost a year (my version is Netscape Navigator 4.05; my younger son
just installed it, drat him -- wiped out all our bookmarks and didn't back
them up; previously we were using Netscape Navigator 4.0, as I recall).

This assumes you are able to enter Cyrillic characters from your keyboard
at all, which it sounds like you can.

By the way, one thing to try is to copy a string of text from the search
page into your clipboard and thence into the search-text field (hold down
the left mouse button, drag over the text string so that it is in reverse
video, hit CTRL-C, double click with the left mouse button on the search
search-text field so that the current text if any is in reverse video, and
hit CTRL-V, at which point your copied text should appear).  Do your search
and see what happens.

This is all confusing, I know -- it still confuses me, and I've been
mucking with it for months.  Drop me a line if you can't get things going,
and I'll try to help to the best of my abilities and as best my memory will
allow (some of the necessary setup was done so long ago I've forgotten
exactly what I did).  Good luck.  It's cool when it works.

-- Ernie Sjogren