Fwd: High School Russian classes

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at ualberta.ca
Sun Aug 30 20:38:21 UTC 1998

Date:         Sun, 30 Aug 1998 11:18:07 EDT
Sender: Less Commonly Taught Language teachers <lctl-t at tc.umn.edu>
From: Cathie Currin <HCurrins at AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: High School Russian classes

I am a volunteer with AFS Intercultural.  We have a Visiting Teacher Program
-- and bring teachers from Russia to the US to visit schools here. They live
with a host family (as an exchange student would), and attend school every
day, working with a mentor teacher who plans their program, allowing them to
make presentations about their country, teach Russian, take a class or two --
etc.  Their hope is to improve their English and better understand American
culture so that they can be better teachers of English when they return.

Our program has been funded by the Freedom Support Act so continued funding is
not always a certainty -- but if it's something you might be interested, send
me your address and I'll send you some information.

There's no cost to the host school -- we ask only that the school provide a
lunch for the teacher.  We also have to be sure that there is AFS involvement
somewhere nearby so that support for the teacher can be assured.

Cathie in NY