Norwich Russian School

David J. Galloway djg11 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 4 19:49:30 UTC 1998

The Norwich Russian School announces its Fortieth Summer Session!

Earlier rumors of our demise, to paraphrase Mark Twain, were greatly
exaggerated.

For more information visit us on the Web at www.norwich.edu (we are
listed under the graduate program), or write us at Norwich University
Russian School, Northfield VT 05663.

In Vermont since its founding in 1958, the Russian School will celebrate
its fortieth session this summer.  As it has for decades, the Russian
School will be in the beautiful Green Mountains along the Dog River just
south of Montpelier on the Northfield Campus of Norwich University.

The program will include beginner through advanced Russian and Czech,
Russian graduate courses, as well as both two and three week programs in
Russian.

Norwich's tradition of exceptional cultural and extra-curricular
activities will continue under the award winning leadership of Muscovites
Sergei Grigoriev and Nina Savitskaya.  Both worked with the famous Dmitri
Pokrovsky ensemble for many years.  Nina was choral director for the 1995
Pokrovsky production of Stravinsky's "Folk Wedding" and vocal coach and
director for the popular Russian rock group "Na-Na".  Sergei's work
includes the nightly program "Spokoinoj Nochi Malyshi!" ("Good Night,
Kids!") which received the 1996 TEFFI prize from the Russian Academy of
Television for best children's program, and he is part of the team that
puts on the award winning weekly political satire program "Kukly"
("Puppets"), awarded the 1995 TEFFI prize "Program Sensation of the Year".

An Alumni Weekend is being planned for the weekend of the Annual Slavic
Festival, July 24th-26th.  If you would like to join us in celebrating 40
wonderful years, and even more to come, please contact us at the Russian
School.

We would like to also thank everyone who gave us support during our "Time
of Troubles".  You really made a difference, and we are very grateful for
your support.

Nathan Longan, Ph.D             Shannan McNicol
Academic Dean                   Program Coordinator