Dmitriev

J.M. Andrew mla08 at cc.keele.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 09:58:39 UTC 1998

Dear Professor Schmid

I don't know enough about the situation to comment directly on the
perceptions/legality of homosexuality in this period.  I thought, however,
you might care to look at a recent book, namely, Wendy Rosslyn's 'Anna
Bunina (1774-1829) & the Origins of Women's Poetry in Russia' (Edwin
Mellen, 1997) in which she discusses the relationship between Bunina &
Dmitriev.  See especially pp. 63-67 where Rosslyn discusses the rumours in
St P c. 1804 that Bunina & Dmitriev might marry.

Stephanie Sandler's 'Distant Pleasures' also has interesting things to say
about male friendships in roughly this period, as, of course, does Simon
Karlinsky in his book on Gogol, with which I'm sure you're already
familiar.

All good wishes

Joe Andrew

--
Professor Joe Andrew
Department of Modern Languages (Russian)

tel. 44 + (0)1782 583291
FAX  44 + (0)1782 584238