Slavistik vs. Slawistik (was: Slavic vs. Slavonic)

Robert Orr roborr at aix1.uottawa.ca
Sun Feb 8 05:38:01 UTC 1998

OK, I know this is a bit late, but a slight amendment is called for.

On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Bjoern Wiemer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> a month ago I lanced a request concerning the terminological "distribution"
> of the attribute SLAVIC vs. SLAVONIC in the Anglosaxon world. I apologize
> for not having delivered the short summary I promised to write. "Chelovek
> predpolagaet, a Bog raspolagaet..." - a serious influenca and the
> termination of the semester at our university are my only justification for
> this delay.
>         As for the above question, I have got the general impression that
> indeed 'Slavic' is American and 'Slavonic' British tradition (including the
> "dominions" Canada and Australia/New Zealand).

As a Scot/Brit, naturalised Canadian, I regret to say that in this
instance as in so many others, Canada follows US usage. This is a
wee bit cheeky of me, as I myself have succumbed to "Slavic", although
when I first applied to a  department of "Slavic" languages in Canada from
Edinburgh, I thought the name rather jarred (although not as much as some
of my preceptors!).  At the age of 21, I had hopes of getting people in
Canada to say "Slavonic", but rapidly abandoned them.

Almost everybody who answered