slezovyzhimalka

Bruce A. McClelland bmcclell at irex.ru
Tue Feb 10 13:47:36 UTC 1998

Dear SEELANGers,

I am looking for attestation of an apparent neologism, 'slezovyzhimalka',
corresponding to the English 'tear jerker' (applied to sentimental films,
books, etc.). The word was used by my Russian tutor here in Moscow in a
conversation about the film "Belyi bim, chernoe ukho". Unfortunately, no
one else I know has ever heard the word, though of course there is the
usual folk-etymological explanation that the word is a nominalization of
the verb phrase "vyzhimat' slezu". I'm willing to believe this.

I was wondering if any slang-watchers on this list have ever come across
it, and if so, about when might it have come into the language? My
"informant" tells me it is used somewhat pejoratively to apply to a certain
genre of sentimental Indian films (I wouldn't know).

--Bruce McClelland
Director, Internet Programs
IREX/Moscow